Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Crossing the Brooklyn Bridge

I spent last weekend in Brooklyn and after about four miserable months the weather was warm enough that all we could think of doing was spending time outside. So we walked, and walked some more. And the part I enjoyed the most was crossing the Brooklyn Bridge over to Manhattan.


On the horizon you could almost make out the Statue of Liberty. I haven't seen it up close yet. On the right hand side you can see downtown Manhattan, home to the financial district.



All I had with me was my phone hence the miserable pictures. Having said that, I like how the phone lens totally skewed this shot. It's fun when your electronics take artistic initiative.


Granted that's a boring pic - but what I was trying to do was to take a picture when no cars were crossing. And given the traffic on the bridge that was no mean feat. Pedestrians cross one level up from the cars which makes the walk quieter and altogether more scenic. At points you forget there's tons of vehicles just five or so meters below you. A great architectural feature that I only appreciated on the actual bridge.

The story goes that the lead engineer contracted diver's disease while working on the project back in the late 1800's. He asked his wife to find a riverside apartment for them in Brooklyn, with a view of the bridge, so that he could stay home and overlook the construction from his window while she took over finishing the project.

So, that was my favorite part of last weekend. And then, on Monday, it started snowing again...

No comments: