Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Tłusty czwartek - Fat Thursday in Warsaw

I have been in Warsaw before only in 1990. Long time indeed. And this February, I came to Warsaw just at the time of Fat Thursday - February 19.



Polish people have this wonderful tradition of Tłusty czwartek - Fat Thursday, the last thursday before the Easter lent.



Poles line up in huge queues to the confectionaries - for special kind of donuts - which are being made and sold only on this day.



I mean, queues are huge!



And the donuts are great indeed! Very tasty, with rose jam inside, and orange dried peel topping. There is a traditional belief, that you can eat as many donuts as you wish on the Fat Thursday, and God will not punish you for the sin of gluttony.



2 comments:

jorge said...

Very tasty post Andriy.

But I wonder, what happened to the rest on the last pic? :)

Andriy said...

I think you know what happened :)