Friday, September 5, 2008

The Tinsley Towers


Once upon a time, in 1998, I found myself in Sheffield, for 2 days.

One of the most striking memories was the level of industrialization of this gloomy city, which was so loudly reflected on these two concrete cooling towers.


Another view that stroke me was this vast building, opposite of the bus station. Never had I seen a more massive construction for residence.

Ten years after this experience, I had almost forgotten everything about Sheffield, when I read the news about the demolition of the Tinsley Towers.

I felt a bit strange, knowing that something so massive and impressive that I had seen with my own eyes no longer existed. And I think I can understand part of the local people that objected to this decision.

Here is the impressive footage of the demolition:


2 comments:

Andriy said...

Malaka, our whole cities are built like Sheffield. I grew up in a building even bigger (and longer) than one on your picture.

Andriy said...

Here are some picture of my neighbourhood: http://urbantransport.kiev.ua/en_203.html